When it comes to thinking about why you might consider laser hair removal treatment, the most obvious reason is the permanent reduction in unwanted hair that treatment offers; but there are many more reasons why it really is worth investing in this hair removal option. Some of the things which may make you think twice, might not actually be true. This blog will tell you both the benefits of laser hair removal, as well as dispel some of the myths that surround treatment.
At Hilton Skin Clinics in Reading, we use the Soprano ICE Platinum laser from Alma Lasers, which gives us even more benefits to offer you than most clinics offering hair removal treatments.
First of all, let’s quickly explain what laser hair removal is and how it works. We can use the light energy produced by the laser to target the pigment within the hair follicle. This light is absorbed and heats the hair follicle, ultimately destroying it and stopping the hair growth. The technical term for how this works is selective photothermolysis, where photo refers to light and thermolysis means destruction by light; which we do selectively to the only the unwanted hair.
5 benefits of laser hair removal
1. It’s great for removing unwanted hair, that’s hair that grows in places that you don’t want, or more frequently than you’d like.
2. Laser hair removal can aid with the symptoms of female hormonal conditions such as PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) which causes excessive hair growth, often in embarrassing places, including facial hair.
3. It can also address and reduce the incidence of ingrown hairs. This can be a problem for men, especially around the neck and hair line.
4. It removes the need or requirement to shave or wax; that’s one less chore!
5. Constant shaving and waxing causes irritation to the skin, stripping it of essential hydration and natural oils. Laser hair removal however does not damage the overlying skin layers.
5 myths about laser hair removal
1. It’s expensive. WRONG – when you add up how much you will spend during your adult life on razors, shaving foam, professional or at-home waxing kits in order to keep clearing unwanted hair every week, you soon realise that laser hair removal is actually CHEAPER in the long run.
2. It’s painful. WRONG – we use the Soprano ICE Platinum device which uses an InMotion™ handpiece so treatment is carried out with the laser energy in constant motion which makes treatment almost painless.
3. It takes a long time. WRONG – again, our InMotion™ handpiece means the light can be delivered much faster than with other laser or IPL devices so treatment sessions are significantly quicker.
4. You can’t have treatment if you have a tan. WRONG – one of the great things about the Soprano ICE Platinum, which isn’t the case with all laser or IPL devices available, is that it can be used for hair removal on darker skin tones and natural or artificially tanned skin.
5. It will hurt the skin. WRONG – the Soprano ICE Platinum is designed to selectively target the melanin or pigment present in the hair follicles and is not targeting the skin, so it does not heat up or damage it during treatment.
If you’re interested in learning more about laser hair removal with the Soprano ICE Platinum, and now is a great time to start getting hair free ready for the Summer, then please contact Hilton Skin Clinics in Reading today to book a consultation to discuss how we can help.